Dinner was a one-pot slow cooker meal that I love--Curried Chicken and Rice. Since I had the greens left from the beets I looked up an indian-inspired recipe and came up with Braised Beet Greens, which added a little more greenery to our meal.
Curried Chicken and Rice (from Slow Cooker Revolution)
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 4-6 hours
- 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 onions, minced
- 1 jalapeno chile, stemmed, seeded, and minced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp. minced or grated ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1 14-oz. can light coconut milk
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless, chicken thighs, trimmed
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups instant brown rice
- 1/2 head cauliflower (~1 lb.), cored and cut into 1-inch florets
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 Tbsp. sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 Tbsp. minced fresh cilantro
Season chicken with salt and pepper, add to slow cooker, and coat evenly with sauce. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, 4-6 hours on low. Break up chicken into bite-size pieces with wooden spoon. Stir in rice and 1 tsp. salt, cover, and cook on high until rice is tender, 20-30 min.
Microwave cauliflower with remaining 1 Tbsp. oil in a large bowl, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 4 min. Stir softened cauliflower and peas into slow cooker and let sit until heated through, about 5 min. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro and serve.